Download the calendar of Mudcrabs events.
The CRVA is an incorporated association made up of caring local residents who are committed to rehabilitating the Cooks River and fostering community spirit within the Cooks River Valley. We work independently and with like-minded groups to facilitate natural resource management and to improve the quality of life and facilities in the local environment.
This short film gives an idea of the work of the CRVA (it’s from 2011 but still very relevant today).
• To improve the health of the Cooks River, its water quality, the state of the riverbed and its flora and fauna.
• To improve the safety, attractiveness and amenity of open space in the Cooks River Valley.
• To increase the availability of accessible community resources in the Cooks River Valley.
• To increase community activities to connect local residents of all ages and from all social groups.
Events and Activities
Members participate in a variety of volunteer activities including:
- Mudcrabs – foreshore litter clean-ups, bush regeneration and reconstruction.
- Mudlarks – this small group conducts a monthly bird survey along the Cooks River. We survey both sides of the river from Marrickville Golf Course up to the Cup and Saucer Creek Wetlands.
- Crab Walkers – a network of volunteers collecting litter in their local area to reduce pollution in the Cooks River (more information here).
CRVA participates in many local festivals including Marrickville’s Sustainability and Arts Festival and the Cooks River Eco-Fest.
We also hold Cooks River Forums are also held to allow interested residents to discuss their concerns about the River and to learn from key Government and community bodies about strategies for its improvement.
The CRVA is a registered Landcare group.
Current fees for individuals and families, as well as information about how to apply, are available on the online membership application page.
Donations are always welcome.
The various activities of CRVA are summarised in our annual reports:
Annual report 2021-22
Annual report 2020-21
Annual report 2019-20
Annual report 2018-19
Annual report 2017-18
Annual report 2016-17
Annual report 2015-16
Annual report 2014-15
Annual report 2013-14
Annual report 2012-13
Annual report 2011-12
Annual report 2010-11
Annual report 2009-10
The CRVA is an incorporated association with an executive comprising a President, Vice-President, Treasurer, Secretary, Public Officer, Publicity Officer, Membership Officer and numerous committee members, elected at the Annual General Meeting in August.
CRVA meets regularly. Details are here.
If you would like to contact the CRVA or have a query, please fill in the form below and one of our members will get back to you.